Saturday, September 19, 2009

Tent Upgrade


I just purchased a Big Agnes - Fly Creek UL1 tent for the PCT. Lighter weight than my Particle 13 (4 lbs.) from North Face, the Fly Creek tent weighs only 2 lbs. 2 oz., a savings of almost 2 pounds. You can tell the materials are thinner on this tent. I hope it holds up as well as the Particle 13, which is still in great shape after 2,175 miles. I think the bulk of the weight savings are from the pole configuration. I did switch out the aluminium tent stakes for titainium and eliminated the guylines. I'm also pleased that Big Agnes is using DAC's new green anodizing process on their tent poles.

Most people carry a tarp on the PCT, but I really like the bug protection you get from a tent. Maybe someday I'll start using a tarp on shorter trips, but for a long distance hike, a tent makes more sense to me.

No comments: