Thursday, July 21, 2011

It's Alive

My nephew's coming out for a few weeks this summer and he's about out grown the Kona we got for him. Money's a bit tight, so I've decided to renovate my old Mongoose BMX. I replaced tires, tubes, chain, pedals, seat post, seat clamp and seat. Some parts are a little hard to find. They don't make the seat post in this size for new bikes anymore. It was fun looking up parts on classic bmx websites.

I also replaced some bearings and pulled everything apart, cleaned it and re-greased parts. Some of the bearing races are in bad shape. I just hope it will work for now. The worst part is the rear hub with a Shimano Coaster Brake MX. I ordered a repair kit for it and hope that the parts are compatible. I should find out next week.

I had a lot of fun working on it, remembering riding as fast as I could and jumping things I probably shouldn't have tried jumping. No helmets back in those days. I'm looking forward to teaching my nephew how to bunny hop.

No comments: