Saturday, May 24, 2008

Gym Remodel

I decided to use about a third of the basement laundry room as a gym. I tore up the carpet that was glued to the floor for about 50 years. I stripped down the floor and ground off the residue and applied concrete floor paint to seal it. I painted the exterior concrete walls with a concrete sealer/moister blocker, then painted the walls and ceiling white (over the old yellow paint).

I wanted to use Flor carpet tiles for many reasons. I like the look and feel of the carpet and the design flexibility. They have the lowest VOC (new carpet smell, off gassing) in the industry, and contain recycled materials and can be recycled themselves. Installation was super easy and the cost, if you figure in installation savings, is comparable to other carpets. And you can buy 1 tile or 100 tiles.

And did I mention the tv with built in dvd player, hanging off the wall so I can watch movies while I work out. And I installed some Swedish shelves from Williams-Sonoma, for some extra storage.




No comments: